Did the leaves fall off? Something not working right? Let us know how we can improve the Photosynth experience.
I would like to use an operating Photosynth image as background on a webpage that uses positioned div elements that use and respect Z-Index rules. Using the embed iframe provided on the Photosynth page works only in FireFox, but in both MSIE & Chrome as soon as the synth player is activated the image goes to the top layer. An example of this behavior can be seen at http://www.whippetfield.com/indext.htm.
I've tried all the tricks I could find to make this a "windowless" player, and none have been successful and Microsoft Live Labs suggested that I post my query here. Any help would be appreciated.
The site above was captured with a trailing period. Remove it & the site is available.
I can't shed too much light here, but as diagnostic information I did a quick little test and loaded up Jon's page in the four major browsers on Snow Leopard and the 5 major browsers on Windows 7. In all browsers the iframe begins in the background, but after the XAP is allowed to load, the results diverge rather interestingly.
Here's how the results break down:
Embedded synth comes to foreground. :: Internet Explorer 9 *1
Embedded synth comes to foreground. :: Opera 10.62
Embedded synth comes to foreground. :: Safari 5.0.2 (7533.18.5)
Embedded synth stays in background. :: Firefox 4.0b4
Embedded synth comes to foreground. :: Chrome 6.0.472.63:
(Mac OS 10.6.4)
Embedded synth stays in background. :: Opera 10.62
Embedded synth stays in background. :: Safari 5.0.2 (6533.18.5)
Embedded synth stays in background. :: Firefox 3.6.10
Embedded synth stays in background. :: Chrome 6.0.472.63
Both of the Webkit-based browsers are inconsistent between operating systems as to their z-index layout. Likewise, Opera with their own layout engine is inconsistent between OSes. Firefox with its Gekko engine turns out to be the only one that renders the z-index visually identically, even though I was using Firefox 3 on the Mac and Firefox 4 Beta on Windows. I am very interested to know why the code got the intended results on all browsers on OSX, whereas 3/4 of the browsers which are on both OSes failed to perform the same on Windows.
*1 The page renders in Quirks mode by default, but using IE9's developer tools to force the page to render using IE9 HTML5 and CSS3 compliance mode didn't fix the problem. I didn't look at the page source code to see what's going on, but Dreamweaver code should be relatively clean, if not perfectly standards compliant.
Original discussion: http://getsatisfaction.com/livelabs/topics/keeping_a_photosynth_image_as_background