Thian Hock Keng is one of the oldest and most important Hokkien temple in Singapore. It was visited by Chinese immigrants giving thanks to Ma Zu (Goddess of the Sea) for their safe voyage.
In 1839, under the leadership of Mr Tan Tock Seng and Mr Si Hoo Keh, the Hokkien clan built the temple in Telok Ayer Street. It also housed the clan's office and served as a meeting venue. The construction of Thian Hock Keng was completed in 1842. The details of the temple’s history are recorded in granite tablets on the wall inside the Entrance Hall.