First Baptist Church Downtown Knoxville Tennessee
Add to Favorites
Copy and paste this link into email or IM
This is First Baptist Church a historic church located in Downtown Knoxville Tennessee. This church is located on the National Register of Historic Places. The congregation was founded in 1843 when a small group of Baptists led by James and John Moses met in the courthouse to adopt Articles of Faith and organize a church. It was affiliated with the Tennessee Association of Baptists, but became a member of the Southern Baptist Convention when that body was organized in 1845. After its first baptismal service in nearby First Creek, the church had 46 members, including 20 African-Americans. The church is believed to have organized its first Sunday School in 1845. The first building was constructed on Gay Street in 1850. The second building was constructed in 1888. The third (and present) building was completed in 1924 at the Main Street location, three years after Dr. Frederick Fernando Brown became pastor. This architecturally-significant structure, noteworthy for its Neoclassical design and octagonal sanctuary, was designed by Dougherty & Garner of Nashville, Tennessee, and is modeled on St. Martin in the Fields of London. The exterior of the church sanctuary is sheathed in marble, although the adjoining education space is brick. The church is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
Textual courtesy of:
Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia
Photography courtesy of:
Textual is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License Photography Copyrighted (C) SiSector Technology
"first baptist church"
"vision of memories"
View this Photosynth in the Direct3D Viewer
Sign in to add a comment
New to Photosynth?
for a free account.
© Microsoft Corporation