Philip Street, one of the older streets in Singapore, ran along the coastal area in the early 19th century. In 1826, a group of Teochews built a temple on this street, which was dedicated to the sea goddess Ma Cho Po. The temple faced the sea and became a landmark, giving rise to the street becoming known as lau la keng khau, which meant "the mouth of the grandfather temple". In 1830, most part of this street and some nearby streets were razed down by a fire that began in a blacksmith's shop. This paved the way for the construction of better dwellings in 1831, whereby shophouses and terrace houses went up to replace badly-built houses. In the 1980s, the area encompassing Philip Street, Market Street and some nearby streets underwent urban redevelopment, and the shophouses were replaced by skyscrapers. Today, the street is part of the Central Business District.