Ha, great continuation of that idea, Nathanael. Your outline here is very helpful, for being able to control one's TEMP files is terribly important for doing anything substantial with these tools (not to mention Josh Harle and company's 3D Modeling approaches!)
OK, so I've tested one dataset using both versions, and I have noticed some real improvement in the quality of the rendering between version 1.3.x and 1.4.3. I did not, however, upload the v1.3.x file to Photosynth.net, however, and, therefore, when I cannot do so, given that I updated to v.1.4.3.
Nonetheless, let me just say that in the following v1.4.3 panorama, the entire top of T-Hall did not turn out correctly in v1.3.x, whereas now it is perfect: