Geotags, aerial synths, street synths… capturing events as they happen. If you can mark it on a map, then this is the place to talk about it.
I have an idea that my little village could all turn up and photograph our local church, or our local hill - Little Solsbury (as in the song by Peter Gabriel) and post all the images as a synth here.
Will this work ?
Any suggestions on how to set it up to be a great community project and interesting synth ?
1. Make sure you prepare:
- Take a synth of the place yourself, figure out how many images you want need to take to get the pointcloud/coverage you want.
- Have some sheet with explanations on how to synth, so that people are aware of what works and what doesn't.
- If you're inlcuding people, make sure they know not to move too much.
- Flashes of different cameras may interfere with each other.
2. Make it fun:
- Have one shot (camera on a tripod) that you take over and over again, but with a different person who particapted each time.
- Try to capture "an event". Have a lot of people taking shots at the exact moment from different directions.
- Get some people to take pictures of the roof (maybe aerial shots, with a kite, etc).
3. Post the synth and embed it in your (church's) website
Is there a way that multiple people can upload to a single synth (from their individual PCs)?
Nothing like that yet. The Photosynth team said even the very first day that they released Photosynth last year that they were hard at work on figuring out how to merge multiple people's synths. Again, that hasn't been finished yet, but I'm sure that as soon as it's ready to test, we'll get to see it.
If you're in a position to give us an update, I'm all ears.