Can’t seem to get something to synth right? Curious about what lens is best? Ask your fellow Photosynthers here.
I made two attempts at a synth last night and this morning. Both are from the same set of photos. The first one was 97% synthy, so when I made the second I pulled out most of the images that didn't fit into the main synth. This improved things, but I've still got a little editing to do.
But there's a larger issue: Looking at the point cloud on the first synth, there's a patch that's about 90 degrees off the plane from where it should be:
The bulk of those images that make that off-plane feature are some orthogonal pictures of a stretch of beach. The camera was rotating slowly during the shoot, so there's no relationship whatsoever between "world down" and "camera down". When culling images for the second attempt, I pulled all of the orthos.
The second attempt is here:
That 90-degree out of plane patch is gone (I really do think it was those ortho shots) but if you view the point cloud it looks like things are falling at two different altitudes. When viewing the pictures it shows up as some really bizarre transitions when moving image to image.
Any idea why this is happening? More important, does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it? I'm all for going back and taking more pictures (HEY!) But if I can fix it through culling images out of this set, I'd rather go that route in the near-term.
I got a ton of feedback in the comments on my second attempt at this synth. Thanks loads, everyone! I went back today and took a fresh set of pictures, keeping in mind everything I'd been told in the feedback on the last synth. The wind was iffy when I got there, so I didn't get to do everything I wanted. But I think the pictures I did get should synth nicely. Over 860 pictures this time, so the synth is going to run for several hours. As soon as it's done, I'll start posting links.
Thanks again for all the feedback and help with this. I'm going to leave the two "problem synths" around for reference, regarldess of how this new one turns out.
This one worked out a lot better:
Like I said, I didn't get to fly the whole time because of the wind, so there were some things I didn't get to do. But overall the synth worked out really really well. Thanks again, folks. The feedback helped loads.
You're very welcome. It's a gorgeous synth. For anyone who's interested in the feedback, it's written as comments to:
For the record, I had the wrong name for the location of all three of those synths. After a really good conversation with Bobby Camara, I've re-written and re-titled them to be more accurate.
Thanks again for all the feedback. Well worth going back and making it right!