The cathedral was under construction during the period from 1900 till 1914. The project was sponsored by a famous entrepreneur and patron of art from the town of Sumy – Pavlo Kharitonenko. The author of the project was a Sumy architect K. Sholtz. Olexiy Shchusev, who was a well-known Moscow architect, also took part in the process of designing. The art decoration was done by the local artists V. Nesterov and G. Nevinskiy. The cathedral was built in the neoclassical style which was quite typical for the buildings created at the beginning of the XX century. The cathedral is considered to be a national architectural monument. During the soviet era it was used as the hall for organ concerts. Nowadays it is owned by Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchy).