Lying just to the West of Weymouth and lying within the ancient parish of Wyke Regis, on the edge of the cliff overlooking Portland Harbour, are the ruins of Sandsfoot Castle. Henry VIII built Sandsfoot at a time when there were threats of attacks by Roman Catholic enemies due to the change in the established religion in England. Henry had wanted a divorce from his then wife in 1527, Catherine of Aragon, but was forbidden by the church. This led to the Protestant Reformation with the King as head of the Church of England and Henry was able to divorce. Fearing attacks from the Catholic continent, Henry built several castles along the south coast of England. Portland Castle opposite Sandsfoot was the first of these two to be completed in the late 1530's. The two castles were sited to act together to protect Portland Harbour and the Roads. Some of the stone used in the building of Sandsfoot Castle was brought from the now ruined Bindon Abbey near Wool, Dorset.