The origins of Fort St. Angelo date back the late Middle Ages when it was known as Castrum Maris (Castle by the sea). It was chosen by the Knights of St. John as their first headquarters in Malta. It played a pivotal role in the Siege of 1565. After the siege it was rebuilt by the knights and when the British came to Malta it became their naval headquarters and it was known by the name of HMS. St. Angelo. After the British left in 1979 it was abandoned except a small part of it which was given to the knights of St. John. Currently it is under restoration.