A popular spot found within the garden is the Shakespeare Garden. Dedicated in 1945, this garden donated by the LaBarre Shakespeare Club was originally designed to include only herbs, trees and flowers mentioned in Shakespeare’s plays. Some of the trees have done so well in this garden, that their extensive shade has made it impossible to grow many of those original sun-loving plant varieties. The garden continues to honor the Bard with roses named after characters in his plays.
The informal design features graceful trees, brick walks and hundreds of annuals and perennials besides roses. Over the years, this garden has been the site for hundreds of weddings. A favorite spot for picnics, its shady lawn quickly transports visitors to faraway lands.
The focal point of the garden is a brick wall with a plaque featuring Williams Shakespeare’s image and his quote, “Of all flowers methinks a rose is best.”