The Sanctuary of the Madonna Della Costa
One of the most expensive in San Remo is the Shrine of Our Lady of Costa, better known as Madonna of the coast which is located in one of the most beautiful panoramic views of San Remo.
It can be reached on foot, crossing La Pigna, the old town of Sanremo, in a tourist trip, until the top of the hill to the foot of a wide pedestrian climb trees, cypresses and olive trees, on which a cobbled blacks and whites create geometric designs, or take the stock, which rises from the center of the village of San Romolo time holiday resort of San Remo lining, mid term, the beautiful Golf Club of Sanremo.
The shrine, according to tradition, remembers from the 1361 San Remo celebrate "the feast of the chain" dragging chains up to the shrine to celebrate the liberation from the yoke of feudal Doria is credited at that time it was founded.
There are writings of 1600, claiming that, within the church, hung on the testimonies of miracles were obtained by Madonna, who then were destroyed in a fire.
The shrine inside, measuring 37 meters long, 17 meters for cruises and 9 in width and the dome is 50 meters high, was embellished over the centuries with many works of art between 1979 and 1981 was rebuilt the roof of the cupola and copper domes of the two sides and repainting the facade. Its baroque shapes are lightweight and fits into the landscape of the surrounding mountains in a pleasant style.
The facade is simple, has a portal framed by two white columns with capitals, above which there is a shrine with a statue of the Assumption, the sides can be seen the marble reliefs of San Siro and San Romolo. In large shield top to friezes and decorated with stucco, we read the word "Sanctuarium" on the sides rise two light towers by copper domes.
The interior is richly decorated with marble, stucco, frescoes, paintings and sculptures.
Of these merits special attention to the spectacular series of four sculptures in wood, Anton Maria Maragliano (1664-1741), who stands in presbitereo. Always Maragliano are the group on the high altar and the crucifix placed on the altar of the same name in 1723.
Always Maragliano are the group on the high altar and the crucifix placed on the altar of the same name in 1723. Among the paintings on the left of the Vision of St. Hyacinth Fiasella Domenico (1589-1669), from the convent of San Domenico in Genoa, the early nineteenth century demolished to make way for Carlo Felice.